A BIG DOG IN A SMALL PACKING
"Apso is a very strong animal and he is capable of great endurance. He has strong character and wit. He is a devoted friend for his owner and he treats strangers with distrust. Keen ear and vigilance say us that this dog is a very good guard."
We have a lot of telephone calls everyday. You ask us where to buy a puppy? What kind of dog to buy? How to train it? How to take care of it?…
So you realize that this small wonderful puppy became the real member of your family. You proud him, joy with him, worried about his health. And of cause, you don’t want to be disappointment in your dog. So you need more information about this breed. That is why I want to tell you about very ancient, very interesting and unique breed – about this hardy little dog from Tibet – Lhasa Apso.
For hundreds of years Apso was saved from the world. This dog was a sacred object. As was told in legends this dog had been worth its weight in gold. To have this dog was a great luck. This small symbol of happiness could be presented as a sign of respect or gratitude or worship. Apso was one of the secrets that his native land had. And you know that all secrets one day become reality. So in the second part of the 19-th century Lhasa Apso came to Europe and became the favourite thing among Ladies.
Before having its real name Lhasa Apso this breed was called Bhutan terrier, Tibetan terrier apso and the talisman-dog… Why was he a charm-dog? People were sure that he can fill natural calamity and let know beforehand about it; take away pain; treat wounds and guard against illness; guard against evileye; keep family happiness, piece and friendship; increase prosperity and others. That’s why Apso was considered a divine dog. It seems impossible that Lhasa has all good qualities what we want to see in other breeds.
Lhasa Apso is almost an ideal dog:
- he is very devoted to his owners and at the same time he is watchful and chary of strangers;
- he is very gay and lies to play but only when you have time. He will never give you trouble if you are busy;
it is very easy to train him and he will obey you, he is always ready to amuse you, but don’t try to sneer at him he feels it;
- he is very clever, sharp-witted and inventive;
- he likes small children, he guards them against strangers; he is on friendly term with teenagers;
- he is a good guard (a stranger in your house will be under his strict control so be careful and don’t let your guests go about the house without you);
- he is invulnerable for big dogs;
- he gets on another animals in your house but he likes to be the head;
- he’ll eat everything you’ll give him but don’t spoil him;
- he has perfect health;
- he has no problems if you change your residence (it is easy to him to adapt in any climate);
- he can easy walk at a great distance but if you have no time for a long walk he will satisfied with time you have;
- his wonderful coat has no smell but you have to take care for it (it is not difficult to comb it twice a week).
You also can cut it if you want.
Apso is a wonderful dog but it also has some complications. Remember that it is very clever and independent dog. So he loves and guards his owners and treats strangers with distrust. So be careful if you want to invite guests. Train your dog before dog-shows. And never forget that it is “a big dog in a small packing”! It is not a toy!